LEGIT YOU'RE FROM THE GOLD COAST WHEN....
Built for pleasure with a lifestyle dedicated to sun, surf and the body beautiful, the Gold Coast is Australia’s most iconic holiday destination. It’s the best of both worlds: all the urban pace of high-rises with a glittering nightlife, balanced by pristine beaches, surf breaks, epic sunsets, natural hinterlands, perfect temps and more than 300 days of sunshine a year.
The Gold Coast is a very special place with very special people – and very special experiences. From balancing between the lifestyle of a beach town to all the hustle of a small city, we’ve captured all the unique elements that show you’re a genuine Coastie through and through.
LEGIT, YOU'RE FROM THE GOLD COAST WHEN...
- You have to create a translation guide to the Gold Coast for non-Gold Coast visitors (this definitely includes anyone north of Ormeau and south of Tweed):
HOW TO SPEAK GC
Duranbah Beach> Deebah
Nobbys Beach> Nobbees
Pacific Fair> Pack Fair
Mermaid Beach> Mermaid
Surfers Paradise> Surfis
- You know where Kirra is, even if Australia Post has relabelled it to Coolangatta.
- You will always run into someone you know. Always. If you don’t know them, they’re from out of town.
- It’s perfectly acceptable to wander around in your active wear, bikini or boardies. You actually consider it dressing up when you wear a cardi or thongs. But not uggies – cos that’s so Beaudesert.
- You never leave the house without your sunnies. Never. Regrets are always immediate. Always.
- You don’t know where to go or what to do when it rains.
- Age 16: SURFERS, YASSSS
Age 21: Surfers? Tourist Trap (sick face)
- Age 8: TWIN TOWNS JUNIOR CLUB ON A SUNDAY, YASSS
Age 18: TWINNIES, YASSS – CHEAP DRINKS
- You throw a chopstick and it lands in a Sushi Train.
- Montezuma’s Coolangatta, Elephant Rock Café and Charlie’s Café & Bar will always hold affectionate places in your heart, cos they were the first places your parents let you hang out as a preteen without them.
- You had the first decent coffee in your life at Zarraffas.
- You’ve never been to Dracula’s #sorry
- You know the freshest fish on the coast - especially for Christmas and Easter - comes from PKG Seafood.
- You love The Kitchens at Robina Town Centre because it indulges all your Master Chef wannabe inclinations.
- The Convention Centre, Pac Fair and Turf Club feature at least once in your yearly calendar.
- Your social media during the week is all about juices, the gym, flatlays of your coffee, laptop and car keys, the coastline and the surf, while on the weekends it’s shots, cocktails and crawling on all fours wearing your rug as a cape.
- You’re cucumber cool when you sit near the Hemsworths, Stafford Brothers, Emily Jade, Rabbit, Occy, Kelly Slater, Mick Fanning, Jarryd Hayne, Kurt Coleman or Ashy Bines at weekend brunch.
- You remember the glory days of Fishos, Melbas, Shooters and Never Land Bar. You're really going way back if you remember the original Berlin Bar, Mansion, Playpen and Great Ice Creamery.
- You can depend on finding your next boo at Cocoon Lounge Bar & Dining, Justin Lane's Rooftop, Rooftop At The Collective Palm Beach, or Sundays at Kommune.
- You baulk when heading north of Palm Beach. And it’s not just because you have to pay for parking or wait for the red lights at Broadbeach’s intersections. It’s because you have to wear covered shoes and a collared shirt.
- You avoid north of Palm Beach for New Years, School Holidays, Easter Holidays, Schoolies, and GC600. Because. Tourists, Toolies & Schoolies. All at once.
- And if you live north of Palm Beach during these times, taking off overseas or vacationing in the hinterlands, Byron - anywhere other than home - is the only answer to survival and mental wellness.
- You know it’s 6am and time to get up when the first plane lands at the Airport.
- You greet the Airport hosties and staff by name every time you fly out and fly in.
- Hungry Jack’s Tugun is used as a location marker for meeting with peeps before heading off into the sunset together.
- The M1 is not your friend. Ever.
- You know all the shortcuts during peak hour *sends blessings to Musgrave Ave, TE Peters Drive, Tabilban Ave, Coolangatta Road and Kennedy Drive.
- You know that Ashmore Road is not even in Ashmore.
- You always slow down driving across Palm Beach-Currumbin and Tallebudgera Creek bridges. Because. Epically. Scenic.
- When you’re on the M1 Motorway and taking the turnoff for Tugun, you instinctively look up at Billabong’s Gordon Merchant’s hilltop property. And you always point it out to visitors. Every single time.
- You always end up on Burleigh Hill for surfing, working on your tan, dates, picnic-ing, people watching, grabbing a Rick Shores Lobster Roll or Cold Rock Ice Cream - even though you know it’s always chockas AF.
- You avoid parking near the trees in Burleigh or Coolangatta around sunset. Because. All them lorikeets.
- You sprint between Duranbah, Greenmount Beach and Rainbow Bay for the perfect wave rather than racing up to Currumbin Alley or Burleigh. Because. Paying for parking.
- You know the best places to park when it’s surf’s up and you want a beer at Rainbow Bay SLSC.
- You get guaranteed best ocean views and seafood platters from Rainbow Bay SLSC and Currumbin Beach Vikings SLSC.
- The whole world knows Burleigh Hill and Point Danger are beautiful. But the real locals know Kirra Hill and Dbah are the GC’s top spots to capture insta-worthy shots of epic sunsets and skylines.
- Sunrises are no longer a big deal, because it’s just the start of another perfect day (and not at all the walk of shame) #notatall
- You dis-associate yourself with Brisbane (even though it’s the capital city of your state), but you’re perfectly fine to make Byron Bay, GC inclusive. Because. Earth n Sea Pizza.
- Heading into the hinterlands to Currumbin Rockpools, Binna Burra, Mt Warning or Mount Tamborine features at least once on your yearly calendar – even if it’s unplanned and you end up there one Sunday somehow.
- You can recognise the Sydney and Melbourne Mexicans from a mile away, because on the five days of winter Gold Coast has, you’re huddled in your thickest jumper, woolly socks and jeans - and they’re swimming in the surf in their dick togs.
- Or when they’re at Pac Fair staring around with open mouths because shopping alfresco is brand new and shiny.
- Or when they’re just really pale and wearing
- You get confused which side to barrack for at State of Origin – well, no you don’t: Queensland wins every year and you only go for winners.
- You will never get your head around daylight savings. Ever. Except when it’s your birthday and New Years. Because. Celebrating twice.
- It’s perfectly ok for you to trash the GC, but not for anyone else – especially if they don’t live here. Because. Gold Coast is the best place on earth.